I’m so grateful to have neighbors that I can also count on as friends! Especially Shelly, whose amazingly delicious recipes still aren’t nearly as amazing as she is! Shelley’s Summer Salsa is great for chip-dipping, but I love to add it to packaged lettuce and a boiled egg or leftover chicken to make it into a healthy and quick meal! Shelley’s decadent pound cake recipe will be coming up soon, but you’ll have to stay tuned for that in an upcoming edition.
(And to Makahla, my beloved up-the-hill neighbor who recently moved away, I’m still mad at you for deserting us and selling your house to cretins. You owe me a sheaf of recipes! Let’s start with your husband’s famous Crawfish-Boil-Jamboree and his Water Moccasin shots that bite you in the A$$ even when you think you’re being careful where you step. I love you, and I can forgive but I’ll never forget that you still owe me for leaving us behind and surrounded by those OTHER people. Just saying. I’m expecting to be able to share your 4th of July recipes in June.)
Shelley's Summer Salsa
- 6 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 English cucumber, finely diced
- 1 Small red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest I use 2 limes instead
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro (optional) this is my own personal preference - feel free to leave this out!
- Toss all of the above ingredients in a bowl.
* 3 Roasted ears of corn, sliced off the cob.
* 1 can sliced mushrooms
* 3 avocados, diced. And as always with the recipes I share, feel free to add your own special touches! What makes you happy? Add it in! Make it your own!