Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 tbsp clarified butter, ghee or coconut oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- 3 cups diced seeded peeled butternut squash
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly baked croutons (optional)
- In a large pot, melt the cooking fat over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the pot. When the fat is hot, add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the squash, garlic and ginger and stir until the garlic becomes aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until the butternut squash is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- In one or two batches, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and blend on high speed until smooth in texture. Return the pureed soup to the pot.
- Heat the soup over medium-high heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour yourself a big heaping bowlful and add a handful of croutons (optional) on top or a sprinkle of freshly topped parsley and enjoy!