- 2 3 oz. boxes of vanilla pudding mix (not instant!)
- 3 cups light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cups pecan halves
- Combine pudding mix, sugar, milk, and butter in a large heavy sauce pan and stir until sugar begins to dissolve.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved. Then cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 238 degrees F on a candy thermometer (or until a small amount dropped in cold water will form a small ball.
- Remove from heat at once, stir in pecans and beat with a spoon until mixture begins to thicken, about 2 or 3minutes.
- Drop by tablespoon about 2 inches apart on a sheet of waxed paper. If mixture hardens as you work, set the pan over a pan of hot water, or add a drop or two of hot water and beat.
- Let stand until firm, then store in an airtight container.