Maria’s Slap-Your-Mama Jicama Coleslaw
- 1 large Jicama peeled (see notes) well… you want to make sure to take off not only the fine light brown skin, but also the tough slightly yellowish layer until you reach the juicy and slightly starchy flesh
- 1 large carrot
- a handful of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ large white (or yellow) onion
- enough olive oil to fry the thinly sliced onion
- Pat the onion slices with paper towel to dry off the juice. Fry the onion until the slices are caramelized and slightly browned.
- Shred Jicama and Carrot on the largest setting of the box shredder or take a slow and somewhat therapeutic route and cut the jicama and the carrot into ½-inch matchstick-thin pieces.
- Mix all ingredients together in a salad bowl, add a dustingof black pepper, a dash of salt and enough mayonnaise to make the slaw verylightly coated. Serve as soon as it is ready as it tends to get a bit watery ifkept too long.