We didn’t grow up poor, but we couldn’t afford to waste food, either. And let’s face it: leftovers aren’t everyone’s favorite menu choice. I can promise you that when you make this recipe, it won’t be as fabulous as my sister’s weekend soup. (Nobody’s is.) But it’ll be good.
Aunt Sister’s Weekend Soup
- 2 qt bottle V8 Juice
- 32 oz box chicken stock (you might not use it all)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen okra
- In a big stock pot, combine the mostly-thawed leftovers with a 2 qt. bottle of V-8 juice and 16-32 oz. of chicken stock (at least enough to cover the thawed meat and veggies).
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Turn the heat to low and let the soup simmer for at least an hour.
- Serve with crackers or cornbread.